|We love mulch! We always recommend mulch for its myriad of tree benefits. During summer, trees appreciate mulch even more! Mulch retains soil moisture and insulates the soil from extreme temperatures. So if you haven't yet, mulch now!
Trees get thirsty just like us and need some extra irrigation in hot, dry spells. Here are general guidelines to help you use water wisely and take care of your trees.
- Hot, dry weather: water 1x a week.
- Cool weather: water about 1x a month.
- Water until the top 18″ of soil are moist, or about 30-40 gallons a month in dry seasons.
NEWLY PLANTED TREES
- First 3 months: water 2x a week.
- After 3 months: water 1x a week until roots are established (up to 2 yrs).
- Apply 2-3 gallons of water each time.
Keep in mind that water use requirements vary with tree species, climate, and site conditions. Water-loving trees like redwoods and birches benefit from our Deep Watering Recharge treatment, which delivers water, soil amendments, and beneficial microbes directly to the roots.