It’s easy to understand the importance of trees when it comes to providing us with shade or being beautiful, but what are some other benefits of trees? We’ve got 11 tree facts that might surprise you.
Here are some fun tree facts:
- Well-maintained trees and shrubs can increase property value by up to 14%.
- Trees properly placed around buildings can reduce air conditioning needs by 30%
- A mature tree removes almost 70 times more pollution than a newly planted tree.
- A healthy tree can have a value of up to $10,000.
- The shade and wind buffering provided by trees reduces annual heating and cooling costs by 2.1 billion dollars.
- Each average-sized tree provides an estimated $7 savings in annual environmental benefits, including energy conservation and reduced pollution.
- A single tree produces approximately 260 pounds of oxygen per year. That means two mature trees can supply enough oxygen annually to support a family of four!
- Water originating in our national forests provide drinking water for over 3400 communities, and approximately 60 million individuals.
- One tree can absorb as much carbon in a year as a car produces while driving 26,000 miles.
- Over the course its life, a single tree can absorb one ton of carbon dioxide.
- An average American uses about 750 pounds of paper every year, and 95% of homes are built using wood. That means each person uses the equivalent of one 100 foot tall, 16 inch diameter, tree every year for their paper and wood product needs.
We hope you enjoyed those fun tree facts and learned something new. Now, if you happen to be under a tree, feel free to hug it out of appreciation for all the benefits it’s brought into your world.